Justice Starts Here. Justice Starts Now.
Mr. Privitera is the founder of The Privitera Law Firm LLC and concentrates his practice on the representation of catastrophically injured victims.
A Leader in the Philadelphia Legal Community
Mr. Privitera is a distinguished leader in the Philadelphia legal community. In December 2018, Mr. Privitera was elected to a three-year term on the Board of Governors of the Philadelphia Bar Association. Since 2012, Mr. Privitera also has been active as a member and officer of the Justinian Society of Philadelphia and currently serves as its Vice Chancellor. Since 2012, Mr. Privitera also has served on the Editorial Board of the Verdict, a publication of the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association. He also serves on the Investigative Panel of the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Judicial Evaluation Commission, which evaluates candidates for statewide appellate courts. He has written and lectured on topics related to personal injury litigation. Mr. Privitera also has been certified by the court to serve as an Arbitrator in the compulsory arbitration program and as a Judge Pro Tempore over mandatory settlement conferences in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
Mr. Privitera has been repeatedly recognized throughout the legal community for his skill and expertise, work ethic, preparation and dedication to his clients in personal injury and wrongful death matters. Mr. Privitera has earned the respect of the legal community, has extensive experience, a sterling reputation for handling significant personal injury and wrongful death cases and proven track record of success and outstanding results.
Before launching his own solo practice, Mr. Privitera successfully handled a broad range of complex personal injury and wrongful death cases at the law firm of Privitera and Hurley LLC (2015 – 2019) and at the law firm of Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck, PC (2007 – 2015). Mr. Privitera’s formidable trial advocacy skills have resulted in multi-million dollar and other significant recoveries on behalf of his injured clients and their families. From 2000 through 2007, Mr. Privitera was a litigation attorney at the prominent law firm of Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, where he litigated mass tort and products liability cases, contract and business disputes and white collar criminal matters. Mr. Privitera is also a former Philadelphia prosecutor and a seasoned veteran of hundreds of bench and jury trials. Before his tenure as a city prosecutor, Mr. Privitera also served as a federal judicial law clerk to the Honorable John R. Padova, a Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Distinguished & Award-Winning Lawyer
Mr. Privitera has earned the distinction of being a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for a total of 11 years, 10 consecutive years and, in 2018, being named to the Top 100 Lists of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Super Lawyers. Since 2011, Mr. Privitera also has earned an “AV” Preeminent Lawyer Rating from Martindale-Hubbell which identifies the highest legal ability and ethical standards as determined by other attorneys and judges. Since 2015, Mr. Privitera has been a member of the Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. Since 2017, Mr. Privitera also has been selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America for his work in the field of plaintiff’s product liability litigation. He has also been selected as an exclusive member of The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Pennsylvania. He has also received a perfect 10 out 10 score from Avvo, an online directory of attorneys committed to providing an unmatched level of transparency in attorney ratings. Mr. Privitera has rightfully earned a reputation for legal excellence.
Whether it be his prior pro bono work defending innocent homeowners in civil forfeiture proceedings, obtaining permanent residency status for an Iraqi interpreter nearly-killed in a car bombing attack or helping his young daughter start her own Alex’s Lemonade Stand, Mr. Privitera has made a difference in people’s lives.
Areas of Practice, Educations & Specialties
Mr. Privitera is admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Mr. Privitera received his J.D., cum laude, from Temple University School of Law in 1993 and his BA in Journalism from the University of Massachusetts in 1989.
Specialties: Catastrophic Personal Injuries and Wrongful Death caused by Negligent Security, Childhood Sexual Abuse, Swimming Pool and Drowning Accidents, Slip and Falls, Construction Site Accidents, Auto, Motorcycle, Train and Tractor Trailer Accidents, Police Brutality, Excessive Force, Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect, Daycare Sexual Abuse, Medical Malpractice, Drunk Drivers, Liquor Liability and Dram Shop, Auto Defects and Other Defective Products.
- The Privitera Law Firm, LLC, Founding Owner and Trial Attorney, Plaintiff’s Personal Injury, February 2019 – Present; Phila. PA
- Privitera & Hurley LLC, Founding Co-Owner and Trial Attorney, Plaintiff’s Personal Injury, March 2015 – February 2019; Phila. PA
- Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck PC, Trial Attorney, Plaintiff’s Personal Injury, May 2007 – March 2015; Phila. PA
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, Litigation Associate, White Collar Practice Group, May 2000 – May 2007; Phila. PA
- Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office, Assistant District Attorney, Major Trials and Narcotics, December 1995 – April 2000; Phila. PA
- Honorable John R. Padova (EDPA), Federal Judicial Law Clerk, September 1994 – September 1995; Phila. PA
- Britt, Hankins, Schaible & Moughan, Associate Attorney, Automobile Litigation Defense, September 1993 – September 1994; Phila. PA
- Lawyer on the Fast Track: In 2006, Mr. Privitera was selected as a “Lawyer on the Fast Track” by the Legal Intelligencer and the Pennsylvania Law Weekly, a distinction limited to only 45 attorneys in Pennsylvania under 40 years of age.
- Pennsylvania Rising Star Super Lawyer: In 2006, Mr. Privitera was selected as a “Pennsylvania Rising Star Super Lawyer” by Philadelphia Magazine, a distinction limited to only 2.5% of eligible attorneys in Pennsylvania.
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer: In 2007, 2010 – 2019, Mr. Privitera has been recognized as a “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” by Philadelphia Magazine, a distinction limited to only 5% of eligible attorneys in Pennsylvania. In 2018, Mr. Privitera was named to the Top 100 Lists of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Super Lawyers.
- Martindale-Hubbell – AV Preeminent Lawyer Rating: Since 2011, Mr. Privitera has earned an AV Preeminent Lawyer Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, a distinction limited to only about 2 out of 10 lawyers and which identifies the highest legal ability and ethical standards as determined by other attorneys.
- Avvo Superb Lawyer Rating: Since 2011, Mr. Privitera has received a Superb Lawyer Rating with a perfect 10 out 10 score from Avvo, an on-line directory of attorneys committed to providing an unmatched level of transparency in attorney ratings.
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Pennsylvania: Between 2011 and 2016, Mr. Privitera was selected for exclusive membership in “The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Pennsylvania.”
- Litigation Counsel of America: Between 2013 and 2016, Mr. Privitera was recognized as a Fellow of the “Litigation Counsel of America,” a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
- Rue Ratings – Best Attorney’s of America: In 2014, Mr. Privitera was invited by Rue Ratings to become a Lifetime Charter Member of “Best Attorney’s of America” representing Pennsylvania as one of its top 100 lawyers, an honor bestowed on less than 1% of lawyers in America.
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel – Nation’s Top One Percent: Since 2015, Mr. Privitera has been a member of the Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel, an organization dedicated to promoting the highest standards of legal excellence and whose mission is to objectively recognize the attorneys who elevate the standards of the Bar and provide a benchmark for other lawyers to emulate.
- “10 Best” Attorneys for Pennsylvania: In 2015, the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys recognized the exceptional performance of Mr. Privitera as 2015 “10 Best Personal Injury Attorneys” for Client Satisfaction.
- Global Award Winner: In 2015, Mr. Privitera was recognized as a Global Award Winner by Corporate LiveWire in the practice area of Personal Injury – Pennsylvania. The Global Award highlights businesses and individuals displaying exemplary standards and incredible performance across the globe. Winners are selected by the Corporate LiveWire team for their unending commitment to excellence in their field.
- National Academy of Jurisprudence’s Premier 100 Trial Attorneys – Pennsylvania: In 2016, Mr. Privitera was recognized as one of 100 premier trial attorneys in Pennsylvania, a distinction reserved for attorneys who have established themselves through their professionalism and excellence in service.
- National League of Renowned Attorneys – Top One Percent: In 2016, Mr. Privitera was honored by the National League of Renowned Attorneys, an organization of skilled and professional attorneys who are committed to upholding the highest standards in the legal world, advocating on behalf of those they represent.
- Best Lawyers in America: Since 2017, Mr. Privitera has been selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, one of the legal profession’s oldest and most-respected peer-review publications. Privitera has been recognized for his work in the field of Plaintiff’s Product Liability Litigation.
Community and Pro Bono Service
Through his pro bono representations, Mr. Privitera has made a real commitment to helping crime victims, the poor, disadvantaged and less fortunate.
In the first case of its kind, in 2006, Mr. Privitera represented a former Iraqi interpreter who sought permanent residency status in the United States after being nearly-killed in a car bombing attack. Mr. Privitera succeeded in obtaining special residency status for the former Iraqi interpreter under legislation enacted in January 2006, which at that time permitted only 50 interpreters from Iraq or Afghanistan to seek permanent refuge in the United States. Mr. Privitera’s client was the first person ever to receive the benefit of special residency status under the new law.
In January 2007, U.S. Senator Edward Kennedy, who at the time had co-sponsored refugee legislation, invited Mr. Privitera and his client to appear before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, which had convened hearings regarding the “Plight of Iraqi Refugees.” Using a pseudonym and hidden behind a curtain to protect his identity, Mr. Privitera’s client testified at the Committee hearings about his work as an interpreter for American military forces stationed in Mosul and the threats made on his life. Since then, the former Iraqi interpreter has felt safe enough to speak publicly about his journey to freedom. In 2011, Mr. Privitera was awarded a Legislative Citation from the Pennsylvania House of Representatives commemorating his outstanding pro bono representation in this case.
Mr. Privitera’s other many pro bono cases have involved prisoner civil rights, sexually abused and neglected children and innocent home owners in civil forfeiture proceeds. While at Morgan Lewis, Mr. Privitera also participated in “Buildable Hours,” a nonprofit organization of Philadelphia law firms committing financial and physical resources to build homes with local Habitat for Humanity organizations. Mr. Privitera also currently volunteers as a case reviewer for the Pennsylvania Innocence Project.
In recognition of his long-standing commitment to the community and outstanding pro bono achievements, Mr. Privitera has been named to the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania Pro Bono Roll of Honor from 2006 through 2010. Mr. Privitera was also the 2002 recipient of the Morgan Lewis Pro Bono and Public Interest Award recognizing his tireless efforts and valuable contributions on behalf of Philadelphia’s Volunteer for the Indigent Program.
Pennsylvania (1993); New Jersey (1994); U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (1995); U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (1995); U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey (1995).
Current and Former Board Memberships
- PBA – Board of Governors: In December 2018, Mr. Privitera was elected to a three year term on the Board of Governors of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
- PTLA – Editorial Board: Since 2011, Mr. Privitera has served on the Editorial Board of the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s monthly publication, Verdict.
- Justinian Society of Philadelphia: Since 2012, Mr. Privitera has served as a member of the Board of Governors and an Officer of the Justinian Society of Philadelphia. He currently serves as the Vice Chancellor.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association – Judicial Evaluation Commission: Privitera is a member of the Investigative Panel of the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Judicial Evaluation Commission, which evaluates candidates for statewide appellate courts.
- Temple Law Alumni Association: Privitera has previously served on the Executive Board of the Temple Law Alumni Association.
- Police Athletic League: Privitera has previously served on the Board of Directors of the Police Athletic League.
Current and Former Memberships/Associations
Philadelphia Bar Association; Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association; Justinian Society of Philadelphia; Philadelphia District Attorney’s Alumni Association; National Italian American Bar Association; American Association for Justice (former); Pennsylvania Association for Justice (former); Pennsylvania Bar Association (former); National Crime Victims Bar Association (former); National Italian American Foundation (former); Federal Bar Association – Criminal Law Committee (former); National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (former); Temple Inn of Court (former).
Written By Mr. Privitera:
- Justice Delayed is Justice Denied: An Overview of PA Civil Rule 229.1, published in the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s newsletter, Verdict, Volume 2018-2019 Issue 4.
- Ethical Issues of Joint Client Representation in Personal Injury Cases, published in the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s newsletter, Verdict, Volume 2017-2018 Issue 4.
- Interview with Jury Commissioner Daniel Rendine, published in the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s newsletter, Verdict, Volume 2015-2016 Issue 3.
- Five Pitfalls to Avoid with Expert Witnesses, published in the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s newsletter, Verdict, Volume 2014-2015 Issue 3.
- Business Owners’ Liability for Criminal Acts of Third Parties, published in the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s newsletter, Verdict, Volume 2013-2014 Issue 2.
- Pennsylvania Dram Shop Liability: Proving “Visible Intoxication,” published in the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s newsletter, Verdict, Volume 2012-2013 Issue 5.
- Voice of Freedom, published in the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s newsletter, Verdict, Volume 2011-2012 Issue 3.
Written About Mr. Privitera:
- Making a Difference: A Pro Bono Barrister and a Historic Refugee Case by Sally Friedman, published in National Italian American Foundation’s Ambassador Magazine, Fall 2012 issue.
CLE Lecturer and Panelist
- Presenter, Auto Law Update 2018, Pennsylvania Bar Institute (Philadelphia 2018).
- Presenter, Civil Claims for Childhood Sexual Assault, CLE Program Co-sponsored by Legal Intelligencer and Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck, PC (Philadelphia 2014).
- Presenter, Negligent Security Case Turned Into Insurance Malpractice Case, CLE Program Co-sponsored by Legal Intelligencer and Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck, PC (Philadelphia 2012).
- Panelist, Developing and Trying a Case: A Case Study of “A Few Good Men,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute (Philadelphia 2008).
Temple University School of Law, Phila. PA
Juris Doctorate, May 1993: GPA 3.29, cum laude, Top 25%
- Dean’s Honor List: Four Semesters.
- Temple Law Review, Managing Editor, 1992 – 93; Staff Member, 1991 – 92.
- Publications: Dino Privitera, Recent Decision, Federal Sentencing Guidelines: Expanding the Definition of Crime of Violence Under Career Offender Provision, 65 Temp. L. Rev. 1001 (1992).
- Distinguished Class Performance Award: Trial Advocacy; Advanced Trial & Litigation Strategy; Civil Procedure II.
- Sarah A. Shull Memorial Award Recipient: Awarded to the Temple Law graduate demonstrating excellence in legal research and writing.
- Activities: Teaching Assistance, Trial Advocacy Course, Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, Treasurer; Temple Law Education & Participation Program (“LEAP”); Italian Law Society; Intramural Softball.
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, May 1989
- Dean Honor’s List.
- Activities: Columnist, Massachusetts Daily Collegian, Junior Varsity Baseball Team (1985 – 86); National Student Campaign Against Hunger; Boltwood Project, Self- Advocacy for Mentally-Challenged; Intramural Softball.
Get Help Now
If you or a loved one has been injured because of the negligent actions of another person, call us now.
What People Say
As a journalist and media consultant, I had the opportunity to collaborate with Dino . . . . He’s a brilliant lawyer and kindred spirit who played a critical role with editorial feedback that helped us fine-tune the factual, 20-20 style doc expose we produced to humanize the victim and the damages . . . . A rare combination, he draws on years working every side of the courtroom, from prosecutor to a career helping underdogs fight back.
If the law were Major League Baseball, Dino would be a five-tool lawyer. He excels at all aspects of the game. He is a first-rate trial attorney, who connects immediately with both judges and juries alike. He is a top-notch oral advocate, whether in presenting a closing argument or in arguing before an appellate court that his large monetary judgment should stand. He is an excellent legal writer, trained as a law review managing editor and seasoned at Morgan Lewis. He is compassionate, thoughtful, and highly responsive to his clients’ situation and needs. And he is as tenacious and tough an advocate as can be found.
Dino was the type of Prosecutor that younger DA’s would watch with awe. His courtroom presence, and ability to put together a cogent outstanding argument was legendary. He is still spoken of in the office years later, due to his wit and uncanny ability to present an argument in such a way that left a lasting impression on you.
Dino and I have been both adversaries and compatriots on both the prosecution and defense of criminal and civil cases. Dino is a consummate trial lawyer – well prepared, well versed, and tenacious. While an Assistant District Attorney, his efforts on behalf of victims of crime and the communities he served were unsurpassed. Now as a plaintiff’s lawyer, his compassion for the injured is matched only by his preparedness at trial. He is highly recommended.
I had the privilege to work with Dino in the District Attorney’s Office. Dino was a ferocious litigator, a skilled negotiator, and an excellent writer. Moreover, Dino tirelessly searched for the truth when investigating and prosecuting matters and had a keen sense of justice and fairness when dealing with persons accused of violating the laws of the Commonwealth. Dino was an asset to not only the office, but to the citizenry of Philadelphia.
I worked with Dino as an Assistant District Attorney and can attest to his skills as a litigator. He was always professional and prepared, and a wonderful advocate for the citizens of Philadelphia.
Dino is a pit bull. A world class litigator. Juries love him and opposing counsel respect him. I learned a lot from Dino during our time working together and I would enthusiastically recommend him to my close friends and family.
Dino is as dedicated to his clients as he was to the citizens of the City of Philadelphia, when he served them so well as an Assistant District Attorney for many years. Dino and I have worked together as ADAs and now as civil litigators, and I can truly state that there is no one whose talents and knowledge I respect more. He is the first attorney I would think of when referring any case with serious or catastrophic injuries, because I know that Dino will put his heart, soul, and considerable skills into obtaining true justice for his clients. I look forward to working with him again in the future.
Dino is a dedicated lawyer who will protect his clients with everything he has. Easy to work with and get ahold of. I highly recommend him, wouldn’t use anyone else.
My name is Leah. I had the privilege of working with Dino and the firm. They worked very hard to help me and my family. We are grateful for all that they have done for our family. I would recommend him and the firm at any time and anything that your family would need help with. Thank you for all you have done to help us.
I highly recommend Dino Privitera for personal injury cases. He did a great job for me and got an excellent result. He is not only a great lawyer, but a great person. I would not use anyone else.
Simply that Dino Privitera is one of the BEST in the business. You’re the best at what you do and a pleasure to work with!
Dino handled a fairly small matter for a friend of mine. He treated it like it was as important as any of his bigger cases and got an excellent result. I highly recommend him for important matters.
I highly recommend Dino Privitera for anyone who needs a personal injury attorney. I’ve known him personally and professionally for almost 30 years and can think of no other lawyer I would want in my corner. His diligence, tenacity, and unique style make him fully able to battle the large corporations and insurance companies. His ethical standards are impeccable and he treats clients like members of his own family.
Simply one of the good guys.
Dino is a dedicated attorney father and friend. Trustworthy and confident. Glad knowing this handsome man!